Yes, I know you want to seem clever and hip, but holding up a book you’ve never read and making a claim you know few will bother to put forth the effort to research is really childish.
THE BIBLE DOES ADDRESS HOMOSEXUALITY
If you are under-educated enough in Western religious beliefs and texts to buy into the “it’s not in the Bible” argument, we need to first start at the basics:
1. The Christian “Old Testament” is the same as the Jewish Torah. It covers the pre-Jesus religious stuff: The creation, Abraham, Noah builds an Ark, Moses leads the Israelites, Solomon builds a temple, Jonah is swallowed by a whale, etc.
2. The Christian “New Testament” are the books added to the Torah to create the “Holy Bible” of Christianity. These are the books of the apostles: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, etc. These books cover, from the perspective of each man, the birth, life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The books toward the end cover various teachings of the apostles of Jesus Christ – apostleship being a formal calling and authorization to continue His church and administer to the followers. Jesus did not himself pen any part of the New Testament, but it is also said that His words were written by his servants (the apostles), and if they wrote while under His direction, even after his resurrection, it is the same as if it had been from his mouth.
3. Since the very beginning there have been those who have sought to change the teachings of Jesus Christ and conform them to their own needs. Some changes are readily evident, as they contradict established Biblical teachings or have a thoroughly documented secular historical origin, while others are subtle. Some changes were made for gain while others were made as disagreements on doctrine or interpretation of doctrine arose. Many of these changes were made with good intentions, and many resulted in new sects, or divisions, of Christianity. All Protestant churches began this way, as they protested certain doctrines of the larger, established churches.
4. Many modern churches have modified themselves to appeal to certain crowds. “Rock band” mega-churches, churches aimed at “Generation X”, and tattoo, skateboard and biker ministries are examples of these churches (or auxiliary arms of these churches). Doctrines which might offend potential members are excluded from sermons and secular enticements, such as coffee bars or free tattoos, are employed to lure new followers.
5. In the same way, and for the same reasons, that many churches have changed, there are many versions of the “Holy Bible” on the market. Some are the result of dedicated study and seek to correct errors that may have existed for centuries, while others are streamlined to exclude “offensive” gender or race-specific terms or to make the “stuffy” language of the Bible more contemporary and simple. More often than not these “dude” and “txt” bibles change the context of certain passages as their editors seek the easiest conveyance or put their own interpretation into the text. I suspect these are to blame for the bizarre and widespread claims that the Bible doesn’t address homosexuality.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY
In the Old Testament/Torah:
Genesis 19:5 Lot has some holy men at his home and the wicked men of Sodom decide they want to abuse them:
“Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them.”
Leviticus 18:22 (and 20:13)
“Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.”
“There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.”
“The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.”
In the New Testament:
“Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.”
1 Corinthians 6:9
“Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind.”
1 Timothy 1:9-10
“Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine.”
“Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
Is That All?
As with other principles of the Gospel, such as “love thy neighbor” or “thou shalt not kill,” the issue of homosexuality being an abomination is addressed “between these lines” as well. It is a sin to fornicate (having sex outside of marriage), commit adultery (sex with someone who is married to another), sin to spill your “seed,” etc.
RELATING TO MARRIAGE
The topic of marriage in the Old and New Testaments always involves talk of “husband” and “wife.” There are no legitimate Biblical verses which describe a “husband and husband” or “wife and wife.” It is a distortion and perversion of scripture to suggest otherwise.
1 Corinthians 7:2-3
“Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.”
In one of the most visible misuses of scripture by the pro-gay marriage movement, a frequent verse, cut from Matthew 19:6 is oft quoted:
“Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.”
Those who envision this verse as a romantic line, vindicating their perverse and corrupt notion of marriage would do to read the two preceding verses, perhaps the most obvious and damning against their cause:
“And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?”
HOW WE SHOULD ACT TOWARD THOSE WHO IDENTIFY AS GAY?
The Bible also gives us good direction in how we should treat those around us. We all sin in some way. We should not judge others according to their sin – meaning we should not hate or abuse another because of their moral sickness, weakness or confusion – but we should hate the sin. We are not required to advocate for homosexuality, for gay marriage, or support the local gay charity, but we are required to love and help our fellow human beings. You don’t have to (nor should you) support an organization of any kind that goes against your personal moral beliefs, but if a member of that organization is broken down on the side of the road, or needs medical assistance, or seems emotionally down, by all means, help them. Christ helped the sick, the widows, and even rescued a prostitute, but he never partook of a prostitute’s services or tried to get himself sick. Homosexuality is a spiritual handicap that some are born with and some receive by its social contagion. It is not who our friends are, it is what they do or think about doing. Allowing the act to become the person gives strength to the sin and minimizes its spiritual damage. It upholds a “culture” that undermines righteous use of the procreative powers and responsibilities given to every human, of all orientations. You wouldn’t buy your drug-addict brother more heroin or give the drunk on the corner more alcohol no matter how much you care for them. Likewise, you are under no obligation to provide support to the act and organization of homosexuality, and you can support your friends separate from their involvement with the sin.
THE OBLIGATORY POLITICAL JAB
In Obama’s recent planned “coming out” in favor of gay marriage, he has once again proven his ignorance and detachment from Christianity. [END TRANSMISSION]